viernes, 29 de julio de 2005

Óglaigh na hÉireann



The Mother

I do not grudge them: Lord, I do not grudge
My two strong sons that I have seen go out
To break their strenght and die, they and a few,
In bloody protest for a glorious thing.
They shall be spoken of among their people,
The generations shall remembre them,
And coall them blessed;
But I will speak their names to my own heart
In the long nights;
The little names that names that were familiar once
Round my dead hearth.
Lord, thou art hard on mothers:
We suffer in their coming and their going;
And tho' I grudge them not, I weary, weary
Of the long sorrow - And yet I have my joy:
My sons were faithful, and they fought.


La Madre

Yo no los niego: Señor, no niego
a mis dos fuertes hijos a quienes he visto marchar
a destruir sus fuerzas y morir, ellos y unos pocos,
en sangrienta protesta por una gloriosa causa.
Se hablará de ellos entre su pueblo,
las generaciones los recordarán,
llamándolos bienaventurados;
pero murmuraré sus nombres a mi propio corazón
en las noches largas;
los pequeños nombres que una vez fueron familiares
alrededor de mi muerto hogar.
Señor, tú eres severo con las madres:
sufrimos cuando ellos llegan y cuando parten;
y aunque no los niego, me canso, me canso
de la interminable pena - y aún así tengo mi alegría:
mis hijos fueron fieles, y lucharon.

Pádraic Pearse, poeta y patriota irlandés (1879-1916)