domingo, 20 de mayo de 2012

Las vueltas de GKCh


Gilbert K. Chesterton

Unless I'm very much misled,
Chesterton's easier done than said.
I have not seen him, but his looks
I can imagine from his books.










G. K. Chesterton

When Plain Folk, such as you or I,
See the Sun sinking in the sky,
We think it is the Setting Sun,
But Mr. Gilbert Chesterton
Is not so easily misled.
He calmly stands upon his head,
And upside down obtains a new
And Chestertonian point of view,
Observing thus, how from his toes
The sun creeps nearer to his nose,
He cries with wonder and delight,
"How Grand the SUNRISE is to-night!"



Encontré estos versos ilustrados por Oliver Herford. Y me gustaron las dos cosas, ilustraciones y letras. Un dejo de ingenuo cinismo parece que va por la obra del autor que era ilustrador -muy al estilo de la época- y escritor -tal vez, también...-.

Como quiera, el espíritu está bien captado en su trazo y en sus versos, me parece. Y quiere decir, entiendo yo, que para 1917 GK era lo mismo que había sido y que después fue.

No es poca cosa, vea.